Friday, April 13, 2012

Color Challenge


Hi Friends and Fellow Crafters! I created this card for a special purpose. A fellow Cricut crafter was asking for card donations for a card shower she was hoping to bring to the Arkansas Children's Hospital in memory of her daughter who would have been turning 13 on April 23rd. She was lost in a fire and joined the angels in May of 2008. It's a loss unimaginable to me. As hard as it can be some days being a Mother to a child who is disabled, I can never, ever imagine being a Mother to an Angel in heaven, who was only with us for a blink of an eye.

I made 3 cards to send. I wish I could have created more, but with the holiday and my son on vacation, it was all I could get into the mail in time for them to get to my friend. I also am entering this into a color challenge over at my crafting friend Renee's blog.

Creative Color Challenge 04-09-12

Welcome to this week's Creative Color Challenge. Here are this week's colors:

Basic Gray RGB: 118, 122, 121
Melon Mambo RGB: 234, 62, 112
Old Olive RGB: 138, 151, 71
I used my Imagine to print the colors and to cut the frame and book plate in the Melon Mambo. The background and leaves are Old Olive. The base and sentiment are Basic Gray. I created all the cuts using Art Philosophy, except for the sentiment which I created in the CCR using the Cricut Alphabet. If you don't already own this cart, it's a must have! You can pick one up from my good friend Belinda!
I ran the frame and background through my Vagabond using two Cuttlebug folders. The image is from Mo Manning and is called Cotton Candy . She is pure sweetness! I colored her with copics and trimmed her to add to the frame.

I added a cute little blinged up lady bug from Prima and some flowers that I made using Art Philosophy with Whiff Of Joy Pearl Brads are the centers. The leaves are a Martha Stewart Punch. That background paper is one of the last few remaining pieces of scrap paper from the K&Company Berry Sweet paper that started my spending ban for paper. With the exception white cardstock and the paper I needed to finish my friend's B'day banner, I have not purchased any paper in over a year.  That spending ban grew into an embellie ban, a ribbon ban, then a stamp ban, and finally became a general spending ban. I have not been adding to my stash at all, just using what I have and only purchasing adhesives, storage and Cricut Carts. I wasn't going to cut those out, no sirree! LOL!
I added some corners that I had in a little container hung over my craft table. I had punched them ages ago from small scraps I had. They have been turning up all over my projects these days.
One of the requirements the Children's Hospital asked was that the cards didn't say "Get Well" or have any religious themes. When I first saw Mo Manning's digi stamp, the first thing that had popped into my head was "Think Big". I ordered the stamp May 30th of last year and it sat unused in my computer until Sunday when I printed her our to color for the card. Another good reason to ban spending on stamps, almost 11 months to use a digi! For shame! LOL! I changed my idea from Think Big to Dream Big. I cut it using the CCR. I added some dots using a Silver Sakura Gel Pen on the sentiment and a copic to add dots to the book plate. I used a Viva Decor Pearl Pen to add some accents and that finished the card. It's a cute card that I hope will bring a smile to a child that really needs one.
I will be posting the other 2 cards I made real soon.
Thanks for stopping by my blog today!
Happy Crafting!
Colleen

3 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! The children in the hospital are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The children are going to love this card! The colors look so FUN the way you used them. I really like your gal and your dry embossing. Thank you for participating in this past week's Creative Color Challenge,
    Renee@ icameisawicreated.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete